Did you know that smoke alarm maintenance is governed by both State and Federal legislation and any person who does not comply with the relevant legislation is guilty of an offence?
Landlords have a duty of care to ensure their rental property is compliant to this legislation. Landlords must ensure their rental property is fitted with the required number of working smoke alarms and properly maintain and test them annually.
All smoke alarms have an expiry date of less than 10 years and therefore periodic maintenance is vital. There are a number of factors that could affect the operation of the alarm which could be deadly. Periodic maintenance is needed to ensure the alarms operate as intended.
The REIV and Building Commission have identified the landlord as responsible for the installation of smoke alarms and their maintenance in residential properties. The REIV recommend smoke alarms in rental properties are regularly maintained by a contractor to ensure their premises comply with relevant building codes, including the correct installation and maintenance of smoke alarms.
We’ve partnered with Detector Inspector who provide a fully compliant service at a cost of $99.00 per annum including any replacement alarms. Their service includes:
- The preservation of records detailing that the property is compliant with current smoke detector legislation. This includes smoke detector positioning according to the Building Code of Australia and compliance with the Australian Standards AS 3786-1993
- Cleaning detector and surrounding areas
- Battery replacement
- Decibel testing
- Smoke test to ensure effective operation of the detector (when applicable)
- Replacement of faulty and expired smoke detectors
- Leaving information card for occupant upon completion of the smoke detector service
- Tenants signature upon completion of the smoke detector service (when applicable)
- Photos of each smoke detector showing the location and expiry date
- Displaying service information and photos on our online portal (allowing property managers to easily identify the last service date and previous service information while on site without climbing a ladder)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9374 8330 about a hassle free solution to ensure legal compliance is met with minimal impact on your time and finances.