Research shows that selling property and moving can be one of the most stressful events in most people's lives. It doesn't have to be. Let's have a look at a few easy strategies that will make selling your Melbourne property as easy and straight forward as possible.
Be selective when finding help
The key to a stress free sale is getting the best help and understanding the process every step of the way. When selling you may have a team of professionals at your side, none more vital than your real estate agent. You shouldn't select any old salesperson so follow this advice to make sure you hire only the best:
- Research potential agents: just like you'd research property.
- Search in your area: agents can be more effective if they have local knowledge.
- Gut feeling: if you get along with your agent and feel comfortable, trust your gut.
- Nothing speaks louder than results: so check the sales track record of prospective agents.
Once you've done your research and picked the best agent you can find, you'll instantly reduce the stress of selling your Melbourne property.
Know the property's worth and understand the process
Even if you've hired the best real estate agent in Melbourne, developing a clear understanding of the process and the value of your property will help to set your mind at ease. Ask your agent to explain the process of sale, and if you'd like to get an idea of the value of the property yourself take these steps:
- Find recent sales in your area.
- Are they comparable? Consider location, rooms, size and quality.
- Once you've compared your homes to others you should arrive at a reasonable price range.
- Adjust for market movements: in a fast growing market prices may have gone up since recent sales.
If you want another opinion don't hesitate to get an independent valuation – which should cost around $300 to $1,000 according to Onproperty.
If you want another opinion don't hesitate to get an independent valuation.
This will give you a clear and accurate idea of how much your Melbourne property's worth so that you don't sell it short.
Keep everything in perspective
Luckily, reducing stress when selling is as easy as keeping everything in perspective. With such a massive change in front of you it can be easy to get carried away and start stressing about every little detail of your sale.
But the fact is if you follow the above points, and get the best help possible you should have no reason to fret.